Building and maintaining the documentation¶
The documentation for FlowchartWiki is now hosted on Readthedocs.io on URL: https://flowchartwiki.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
Changes to the documentation will be automatically picked up by Readthedocs.
The following documentation is for testing and reviewing the documentation prior to updating the repo.
- Python (3.4+)
- Graphviz to render the images.
- Sphinx with ReadTheDocs theme
- Preferably a Linux box with
- Create a Python virtual environment
python -m venv venv
- Activate the virtual environment
- Upgrade pip:
pip install --upgrade pip
- Install required Python packages into the virtual environment
pip install sphinx sphinx_rtd_themeor use
pip install -r requirements.txt
Building the documentation¶
- Build documentation
- Build .epub
Extraction of original source documents¶
The original source documentation was in a FlowchartWiki based MediaWiki installation.
Most of the pages have been extracted in two formats:
- MediaWiki markup, extracted by manually copying the markup from the “edit page” option.
- .html markup extracted by using
wget "http://www.flowchartwiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=render" -O Main_Page.html
(These files have been retained in the
The .html file was then converted to restructuredText by using pandoc:
pandoc -f html -t rst main.html -o main.rst
Finally the .rst file was manually updated and polished.